Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwebber

Our basement has survived major snow melt - good sign?

gardenwebber
15 years ago

Hi all - me again. We are planning to finish our basement this coming summer '09, and I am eagerly awaiting Spring so that I can really watch the basement for all water related issues (snow melting, rain, seepage, etc) so I can get to the bottom of a very slight dampness problem we have only occasionally.

This weekend, we had an early major melt down of about 2 feet of snow. We're in NY and have been getting pummelled with snow since Nov, then this weekend, we had 60 + degree weather and it all seemed to melt at once. We have several streets closed due to flooding, and our across the street neighbors who live behind a flooded creek have a foot of water in their basement. Our home seems to sit at a higher elevation than theirs, so they must be closer to the water table than us.

Anyways, after all of this melting, we have no standing water in our basement, not even so much as a damp spot. So, this must be a good sign, right? Due to these results, can we safely assume that our dampness problem is gutter/heavy rain related?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia