Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_tech_guy

Best solution to fill predrilled nails into concrete slab

the-tech-guy
11 years ago

Hello fellow basement DIYers,
I had to tear up one 2x4x10 from the concrete slab in my basement and now I have 4 holes about 1.5" deep. What is the best way to fill these holes? Can I just use something like QUIKRETE� Polyurethane Concrete Crack Sealant? Also what is a good rule of thumb for the number of screws per 2x4x8 used as a baseplate?

Thanks guys

Comments (7)

• worthy
    11 years ago

As per the manufacturer's directions, the Quikrete should be let to set for 24 hours after each 1/4" thick application.

I don't know why you'd need an 8" wide baseplate. I anchor wood baseplates every four feet or so with concrete screws or a powder charge device.

This post was edited by worthy on Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 19:33

• bus_driver
    11 years ago

I used JB Weld to slightly overfill then sanded it flush two days later with 120 grit with rotary oscillating sander. It is difficult to see those places now.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

I'd use whatever concrete repair product they had a the home center. The unfortunate part is you'll be buying a bucket of the stuff.

Remember the baseplate should be pressure treated wood. I'd use a good bead of construction adhesive and screws every 2-3 feet.

• the-tech-guy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the responses. I plan on starting my framing this weekend. I have the PT wood however I was not aware of having to use the construction adhesive on the wood. Is this necessary? Are not the screws enough?

• worthy
    11 years ago

The PT wood is unnecessary, as long as you provide at least 6mil poly under the plate. As for securing the framing, the screws are more than enough. Easier yet are powder charge fasteners. To provide a thermal break, use strips of 1" thick extruded polystyrene(XPS) between the plates and the concrete.

This post was edited by worthy on Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 13:59

• bus_driver
    11 years ago

While your State may be different, NC Code requires any wood in contact with concrete to be pressure treated. No mention of above or below grade. Would 6 mil poly satisfy an inspector? Maybe yes, maybe no.

• worthy
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reminder that local requirements may differ; I should append that qualifier to every posting in small legal print.

The pertinent North Carolina Building Code Section is:

"2304.11.2.2 Framing. Wood framing members, includ-
    ing wood sheathing, which rest on exterior foundation
    walls and are less than 8 inches (203 mm) from exposed
    earth shall be of naturally durable or preservative-treated
    wood. Wood framing members and furring strips at-
    tached directly to the interior of exterior masonry or con-
    crete walls below grade shall be of approved naturally
    durable or preservative-treated wood." (emphasis added)

I would suggest to the authority having jurisdiction that an interposing section of XPS means that the wood framing is not "attached directly".