Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anchoring screws to stone foundation

Posted by infoartist (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 8, 06 at 14:59

I am trying to replace a door in our stucco-covered fieldstone foundation, the framing to which has rotted away. I tried to anchor new 2x6 lumber (pressure-treated) to the opening with 2.75" TapCon screws ("blue screws") but they just pull out. I'm not sure if the problem is getting a decent hole in the stone, or if I'm really just hitting the stucco and mortar and they're just chipping away. I don't really want to repoint everything right now, but I'm thinking maybe there is some anchoring cement that will hold the screws in. Still, it would seem like a lot of trouble to epoxy in bolts, etc. vs. just being able to drill through the material and drive something in. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anchoring screws to stone foundation

Tapcopns demand a rather tight tolerance hole in the substrate.
The correct size tapcon drill bit and a hammer drill usually do the job very well.
If the tapcons are not into the stone, what will cement have to hold onto?
You may also want to try longer tapcons.

o
RE: Anchoring screws to stone foundation

Pulling out the frame and just drilling a hole should give you some idea of the thickness of the stucco. Tapcons(r) require at least 1" of the screw into the substrate. My guess is that you're not achieving that. I'd get a longer screw.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Tapcons

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here