Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saphireny

Anyone use Mill Creek Flooring in the Basement

saphire
15 years ago

http://www.totalbasementfinishing.com/basement-finishing/basement-floors/basement-wood-floor.php

Although I hate anything that is marketed so you have to put in your name and they find you a local contractor

DH desperately wants carpeting, I would prefer flooring. Our basement has some very minor seepage issues or did 5 years ago. Our basement is also waterproofed with a pump that we have only had to use when the washer overflowed. DH spread the epoxy garage stuff with the flakes. Did not help completely and it peeled in some places but it is generally ok, not as dry as the first floor in my opinon, but not his. Will have to hold up to many kids and possibly a large dog

Is there a special vapor barrier you can put on a painted concrete basement floor under carpeting? Is there a better inexpensive wood look alternative for lets say less than 2.50-3 a square ft in the suburbs outside a big city?

I honestly do not care what we put down, carpet, carpet tile, vinyl that looks like wood or laminate that looks like wood, as long as it does not smell or get moldy and is inexpensive to have installed or really really easy to install yourself

Thank you for any ideas

Comments (4)

• graycern
    15 years ago

I would suggest installing dricore flooring. It is a subfloor composed of tiles made of plywood and plastic that raises the floor above the concrete. It allows for air circulation and any moisture to evaporate. Then whatever flooring you choose can be laid right over the dricore. This is what we chose for our basement which sometimes has a damp problem. My husband was able to lay it himself. In addition we run a dehumidifier in the summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: dricore

• sniffdog
    15 years ago

I have been looking at laminates that look like wood and have decided to go that route. The look I want is an old pub - so I need flooring that looks like old wood. I just started looking and saw some products at Lowe's that looked nice - commecrial grade flooring that runs about $4 per sq ft for the planks - then add extra for underlayment etc. It has a surface that feels like hand sewn wood and from a distance of about 1 foot away, you cannot tell it is fake.

I looked at the vinyl that looks like wood - but it looks like vinyl to me. It is cheaper (in the 2-3 range per sq ft) but for the extra dollar or so, I would rather have the laminate.

I like the Dricore product BUT do not like the cost. Also - it is not true that "whatever flooring you choose can be laid right over the dricore". If you read the instructions for vinyl on Dricore, they tell you to put down a layer of 1/4 inch smooth surface underlayment on top of the dricore. When you add up the cost of the Dricore plus the cost of the underlayment - it is more than the cost of the flooring.

This was the subject of another post on this forum and the person who posted it was shocked to learn (after he put the Dricore down) that he then had to put this 1/4 inch underlayment on top before he could lay down the vinyl. I went out to Lowe's and looked at the prices - it was 5 dollars per Dricore 2' x 2' piece and 14 dollars per 4x8 sheet of the underlayment the manufacturer recommends. That comes to 34 dollars for a 4x8 section - or 4.25 per sq ft.

If you do carpet or laminate over Dricore - then you can install right on top. But not vinyl.

• andrelaplume2
    15 years ago

4 X 8 section, 8 pc dry core ($40) , underlayment $14...total $54 for 8 foot section...no?

What if you have a flood from above...does that not ruin the underlayment and dry core? Perhaps it is cheapest just to do some berber and if you have a flood replace....aggravation yes but likely a lot cheaper....?

• cynthia_homeremodelingct_org
    12 years ago

andrealaplume2 has a point. If there is a plumbing leak, a leaky water heater tank, what happens to the wood layer in this and similar products lined with wood?

If you are going with carpet, I suggest you look for basement subfloor matting that is 100% plastic, with no wooden layer to soak up water and grow mold.

The MillCreek flooring is an "all-in-one" solution. It goes straight against the floor, with no need for subfloor or underlayment.

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years