Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement Dehumidifier Noise

Posted by luckyparker (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 17, 07 at 13:49

I had a SaniDry dehumidifier installed in my basement a few months ago, and it works great, but it's quite noisy. We tried using the muffler kit they offer to no avail, and there's nowhere in the basement that the noise won't carry upstairs.

Does anyone have any advice on what I might try?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement Dehumidifier Noise

I have two in the basement, each controlled by a separate wall-mounted humidistat that I installed. Humidity control is rather precise. One advantage of that control is that the unit runs only when actually needed- no run=no noise. Since the unit drains into a floor drain system, I set it on a foam rubber pad to lessen the noise. It helped a little.

o

I built an acoustical ceiling tile box that goes around a dehumidifier... lessens noise quite a bit. Thought about making it its own little drywall box with a nice filter someday.

o

Enclosing the dehumidifier would no doubt lessen the noise. But the enclosure would have to be very carefully designed and fabricated so as not to interfere with free air movement to-and-away-from the unit. If the enclosure permitted the air to move around within the enclosure and just recirculate directly through the unit, it could defeat the whole purpose of the dehumidifier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here