Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
XPS fastening to concrete walls

Posted by parker650 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 28, 10 at 12:28

I've got a 12 year old colonial with poured concrete foundation walls. I can already tell the walls aren't square and am not thrilled with the thought of using adhesive...

So, which of these would you recommend:

A. 1/4" Tapcons with washers

or

B. 1/2" x 3 3/4" concrete wedge anchors

Keep in mind that I have a hammer drill but it is a big old Milwaukee with 1/2" bits, so I'd most likely have to purchase a different (smaller) hammer drill just to use the tapcons. With the drill that I have I can install the wedge anchors no problem. Wedges are double the price but I won't need to buy another drill...

My concern is with the heat/cold conductivity of the larger anchor, could that cause any issues?

I'm thinking of anchoring each 4'x8' sheet of XPS with 2 anchors (midpoint at 2' and 6' up) then framing a wall up tight against it. Once I plum the wall I'll use wedges as needed to keep pressure on the XPS.

Any thoughts or recommendations???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: XPS fastening to concrete walls

The wedge anchors are a waste of money for two pounds of XPS. I've used 1/4" concrete screws with fender washers.

Fender washer

Count on four-six fasteners for sheets that size. However, by drilling near the edge of a sheet, you can often overlap the washer onto the adjoining sheet as well, cutting down the number of anchors you have to use. Instead of fender washers, you may be able to use roofing washers, some of which come up to 3" in diameter. Also, tongue and groove (t&g) XPS will make for a tighter fit. Use handheld sprays where there are gaps. It doesn't have to be pretty; it has to be as airtight as possible.

The conductivity issue arises even with the 1/4" concrete screws. Before the drywall goes in and the space is heated, I've seen ice forming on the screws.

I use a half-inch hammer drill for 1/4 inch bits all the time. The more power, the better.

o

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/basements/msg1212280821003.html

Here is a link that might be useful: eifs base coat

o

I'm using faster methods now. Such as plastic insulation anchors designed for percussion guns. Or just run a few furring boards over a wall of XPS

This post was edited by worthy on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 17:19

o

Can you share why you're not using adhesive?

o

Poured walls are too irregular for the adhesive to hold. Plus mechanical anchoring pushes the board tight to the wall so the insulating board is more effective. Some jurisdictions may require mechanical adhesion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here