Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeff180

Insulate partition wall in wine room

jeff180
13 years ago

First time poster here. I was looking around at the insulation topics but didn't see how to insulate an interior partition wall.

I wanted to build a wine room (no humidifier) in the corner of my basement. It's already walled off from the finished part of the basement, but the room itself is unfinished. I was planning to leave the outer concrete walls exposed, and drywall the 2 partition walls insulated with XPS. I'll probably tile the floor.

I'm not a wine collector, so I don't need perfect conditions. I just want take advantage of the cool outer wall in the summer, without freezing the rest of my basement in the winter.

Does XPS work for this application? I've never worked with the product before. Should I place it in the middle of the stud bays, so it doesn't touch the drywall on either side? Is it ok if edges of the XPS are in contact with the studs?

Comments (4)

• fnmroberts
    13 years ago

Hopefully Worthy will respond to your query. He speaks knowledgeably regarding insulation applications.

A below-grade basement won't freeze. For my 2 cents, I believe XPS should be installed (glued) all-around the interior of your space, then paneled or drwyalled for protection. Humidity probably will still need to be addressed with a dehumidifier or circulation.

For your wine, consistent temperature and humidity are important even though you're not a collector. You don't want a moldy cork or mildewed label afterall.

• sniffdog
    13 years ago

jeff

See the link below - probably the best resource available that provides details on how to build a wine cellar.

I am in the process of building one right now - similar situation as you - except that I want to do preserve some of my wines that will be at their peak at 10 to 15 years old.

Below is a a description of what I am doing which is based on reading the book and adapting it for my needs and situation. My basement corner is completely below grade and I actually have 3 walls that are cement - like a big nook.

- The cement foundation walls currently have fiberglass with silver paper on it. I am taking that down and putting up 1/2 inch XPS foam board to provide a vapor barrier. I wanted to use a thicker foam board but the prices are very high so I went with 4' x 8' x 1/2 inch interlocking board sold by Lowe's.

- stud walls along the foundation will be framed with 2x6, cavities filled with R19 insulation. There will be a 2 inch air gap between the stud walls and the XPS.

- ceiling joist cavities will first get a 6 mil plastic vapor barrier, then joist cavities will be filled with fibeglass rolls without paper vapor barrier.

- the front wall will be a double wall framed with 2x6's. The 6 mil vapor barrier will go on the outside of the wall (the front of the wall on the basement side), stud cavities filled with fiberglass rolls without vapor barrier).

- interior walls will be covered with cement board. I plan to use a venetian plaster product to cover the cement board and give the room an old world look.

- floor is acid stained. I went this route instead of tiling to lower the cost and I thought it would look better, and it does.

- ceiling tiles will be made from bead board and stained/sealed. I plan to make the tiles removable so I can access the ceiling cavitities since I have water pipes up there. I will be making some fake beams with cedar boards to break the ceiling up into rectangular sections that get the beadboard panels.

- the door will be an exterior entrance door, probably a fiberglass product that can be stained to look like wood.

- I plan on installing a humidifier but no air conditioning system.

If all you want is a room in the basement that you happen to place wine in, then you could just put XPS foam board on the cement walls, framing in front of that, and then standard dry wall.

Adding the plastic vapor barrier, insulation, and cement board does take a little more time and money but in the grand scheme of things not that much more.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Build a Wine Cellar

• jeff180
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sniffdog,

I only have a small 5' x 5' space with low ceilings to work with. I really just want a simple, cooler space to keep some bottles. Good tip on that book though - it's at my local library so I'll pick it up for some ideas.

fnmroberts,

Thanks for the tip on the dehumidifier. I'll be sure to add an outlet to the space.

If I'm insulating an partition wall, do I need the 6 mil plastic as sniffdog suggested? I wouldn't think that XPS placed between studs would give a good seal.

• fnmroberts
    13 years ago

Don't believe you will be able to fit XPS between studs sufficiently tight to form a moisture barrier. XPS needs to go against the studs. Plastic should be fine since you are making provisions for the dehumidifier.