Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiegirlz5

Basement Bathroom Dropped Ceiling

prairiegirlz5
16 years ago

Please, I need some advice!

We are redoing a bathroom in our basement, and need to put in a dropped ceiling in order to access a shut-off that was formerly blocked off.

The PO drywalled AND tiled over the walls and ceiling, and originally I wanted to just drywall the ceiling, until we discovered a gas shut-off in the ceiling (not the main shut-off, but there is also the exhaust vent for the fan in the ceiling). My husband wants access, not sure exactly why, but he says better safe than sorry.

So now we're doing half drywall and half suspended ceiling tiles in the bathroom. I know we need to use moisture resistant tiles. Can these be used over a shower? If we decided to suspend the entire ceiling after all, ha!

We are replacing the recessed can lights with new ones, one in the shower, an eyeball over the mirror and one that is a combination light/fan/heater. At least I want a recessed combination light/fan/heater, in the same round shape as the can lights.

There was a sheet metal box jutting into the corner, and we found that we could cut a vent into it for central heat as well. Since we moved the wall back, extending the room, this box is no longer in the corner, so we drywalled around it.

The drywall is also above the shower, and above the mirror, which are in separate corners of one side of the 5' x 8' room.

The suspended ceiling will go on the other half of the room, with the fan/light/heater combo. The one my husband brought home is rectangular shaped, Nutone Model #665RP. I would like the Nutone Model #9093WH, mainly because since we're already using two different can lights, I want the consistency of at least a common shape. He says it won't matter, and with the grid of the panels, the rectangular shape will be better anyway. Do you think I'm being unreasonable, or would it even matter with the two ceiling finishes?

I probably should've asked this earlier...

Comments (2)