Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
finished basement ceiling

Posted by johnuch (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 15, 06 at 9:28

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW WHAT TO DO AS FAR AS BRIDGING.
I AM WORKING ON A FINISHED BASEMENT AND WILL BE PUTTING IN 1/2 SHEETROCK FOR CEILING. I HAVE HOWEVER WOODEN I-BEAMS, SPACED ABOUT 22 TO 24 AVERAGE. I THINK SPACING IS TOO FAR FOR SUPPORT FOR SHEETROCK. WHAT SIZE THICKNESS FOR BRIDGING FOR THIS SITUATION CAN I GET AWAY WITH ......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: finished basement ceiling

On ours, the builder hung electrical conduit and water pipes below the beams. To bridge everything, I placed 2 x 4's on their sides and on 16" centers. This gave me support for the can lights and the drywall.

Photos of the finished space can be viewed from "My Page"

o

I had the same situation. I have engineered celing joists that are 24" on center, and I was told to use 5/8" sheetrock to avoid sagging. I ended up going with ceiling tiles instead.

o

was hoping that I can use something like 3/4 to maybe 1". maybe the right term is strapping.

o

Don't use 1/2" it WILL sag and code is 5/8"! Go spend the extra few bucks to do the 5/8" and it will be money well spent!

James

o

I guess I agree with everyone's suggestion of 5/8 sheet rock.....unfortunately I already bought 1/2 and am installing 2x between the 2 I beam joists for support. I cant take it back, for I cut it in the store to bring home. Now im nervous about ..

o

If you want to stick to 1/2" then you could attach rows of 2x4's (install on their side so they only cost you 1 1/2" of space) perpindicular to your joists 16" OC. Like the other poster said then this would give you space should you ever need to run wiring or plumbing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here