Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sump Pump Backup battery?

Posted by folkman (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 22, 08 at 9:22

I just installed a new sump pump in the house I bought last year-There was a system in already but it was old and I head the basement still could leak.

I lost power for a day the other week during a big rain storm here in New England. So the sump pump didn't work and I had a flood in the basement. I want to get a back up system and need help.

I have looked online and I see back up systems that sell an extra sump pump and all that but does anyone know of what I can use just for a battery back up.

Also, I know this is a silly question but for work I have some of these large APS battery backup systems that keep the computers running for several hours if need be. Has anyone just used something like this? Or is it only the car battery backup systems.

Ideally I want to install this myself and need some recommendations!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sump Pump Backup battery?

The short answer, I think, is no. Even a small sump pump pulls something like 6 amps (720 watts) so you'd need a pretty large UPS to keep on running for any period of time. From APC's runtime chart a 1500 VA back-up (retail $250) would keep 700 amps running for 5 minutes. Motors have a fairly large in-rush of current on start-up too. I don't know if a UPS is designed to handle that.

The pumps sold with battery back-up systems are 12 volts DC, so you couldn't just plug one into a UPS either.

It is probably far more cost effective just to buy a automated battery backup sump pump system.

o

Battery back-up sump unit and then gasoline generator would be the next line of defense. Unless you pay thousands, you'll have to be around to engage the generator.

Make sure you check the back-up unit every month. I failed to do so and just got done cleaning out a soaked basement.

o

There is a water powered pump that I did hear about on one of the forums that would solve the problem until you could get the generator fired up if you did have a long outage.

o

There is a water powered pump that I did hear about on one of the forums that would solve the problem until you could get the generator fired up if you did have a long outage.

Some municipalities are poo-pooing those kind of pumps because they use a lot of fresh water to run. Off hand it's something like 4 gallons of fresh water for each gallon of waste water removed.

Of course, if the choice was between a fine and a wrecked basement...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here