Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
insulation on stairway and a vapor barrier question

Posted by codnuggets (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 27, 09 at 23:23

I've read a pile of posts about insulating. 2 questions here I still need help with:

Firstly, I spoke with the permit office about basement insulation requirements, and the city code requires a 2x4 wall set 1 inch minimum off the poured concrete walls with r-13 and a vapor barrier. I'm going to go back and discuss options, but if I'm stuck with these requirements, should I still put up a layer of XPS if code allows it? If so how thick? Any issues with XPS plus a vapor barrier?

Secondly, the stairs leading down to the basement start from the kitchen, turn at a landing halfway down with a door leading to the driveway, and continue to the basement along the exterior concrete wall. What's the standard procedure for insulating this portion of the wall? Building a finished, insulated wall will reduce my stair width by 6 inches so I'm hoping that's not the case. I'll talk to the permit office about this, but I thought I would get some opinions in the meantime.

Thanks for any help.
Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: insulation on stairway and a vapor barrier question

Put 1" extruded polystyrene (XPS) on the foundation wall, then finish the rest as they require. The polyvinyl vapour barrier is pointless, but it won't damage anything, according to Building Science Corp. I've had to do the same nonsense on two new homes. The most economical thing to do along the stairs is to use 1/2" or 1" XPS, followed by drywall above the staircase. It shouldn't hang over the stringer. Underneath, you can go thicker, as it doesn't interfere with anything.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basements

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here