Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aggu_gw

fiber cabling or CAT5

aggu
16 years ago

Our electrician is suggesting fiber cabling given that Verizon is rolling our FIOS service. Our town does not have FIOS yet, but i guess it will come soon. Anybody else has fiber cabling done?

Comments (3)

• chris8796
    16 years ago

I thought FIOS was just fiber to the house then CAT 5e inside from the panel. You can always give yourself and insurance policy and go with conduit it the high use areas, Main TV, mBR and office.

Here is a link that might be useful: conduit

• carguy60
    16 years ago

FIOS is fibre to the house.
    Inside the house you would be well served to run CAT6,
    which supports Gigabit Enet to planned computer spots.
    Wireless connections can eliminate any cabling, but I
    like to have a couple of wired connections for backup.
    Run a CAT6 to every spot that you think you will have
    a TV also. Many upcoming uses for media distribution
    over LAN lines. Wires are good for this, rather than
    working to make high tech media equipment talk wireless.

Good Luck
    John

• sniffdog
    16 years ago

aggu

carguy has it right - for the things that you definately need right now. You might want to consider using conduit and then pull your wires though that so that you can add whatever cables you need in the future.

I ran two Cat 5e cables to every spot where I know I need voice or data connections - including TV locations for the SATV receivers which need a phone hook up.

At each TV location - I ran 2 SATV rated cables through conduit so that I could expand/replace later. I only pulled cables where I know on move in day that I will have a TV. To all other locations, I just left the conduit empty. I ran conduit from all rooms to the basement (you could run to the attic - and then provide a large conduit from the attic to the basement).

For each audio contoller drop (for a whole house audio) I used conduit and will wire later. In the ceilings I used CL3 rated speaker wire and ran that over to the controller box locations.

If you have basic handyperson skills, you can put in the conduit yourself and possibly save a bunch of money. I found that the companies that offered pre-wiring were very expensive. You can buy everything you need at HD or Lowe's - and it isn't expensive.