Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flooring for the entrance

Posted by aggu (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 07 at 22:12

We have a walkout basement. Looking for suggestions for what type of flooring to do in the entrance area. Rest of the basement, we are leaning towards dricore+carpet. Is tiles a good idea for the entrance? Our concerns are a) just in case water seeps in from the entrance in case of very heavy down pour and b) cleanliness

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flooring for the entrance

WE generally install tile at all basement entrances. As for the exterior door a goo elastomeric sealant is Geocel 2300 clear. apply a thick bead at threshold outside door.

o

Thanks. Since for rest of the basement we are thinking dricore+carpet, can the entrance tiles be installed on the dricore? Otherwise how would we level them with rest of the floor?

o

the tile needas to be on a concrete base on concrete backer board. It would be possible to have a thick bed of mortar with 1/2" backer board then a thick mortar bed again with tile on top. This is a little un-orthodox. Why are you using the dri-core under the carpet???
Tom

o

I just completed my basement with dricore installation thru-out and had put in 12X12 natural stone tiles (travertine) at the entranceway-carpet elsewhere.

I took an unorthodox approach in ramsetting the dricore panels securely to the floor first and then used Flexbond (a fortified thin-set mortar) to bond the tile onto the dricore panel. I was liberal in applying the mortar onto the dricore panel to offset any slight differences in height from 1 panel to the next.

What sold me on Flexbond was the statement "Isolates cracks up to 1/16" and withstands minor substrate deflection" on the package, and also spending additional $$ on backer cement boards.

So far I'm please with the result but YMMV.

It may also helps that I was going for an antiquity look so my tumbled tiles do not hv any grout joint.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flexbond info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here