Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanama_gw

Leveling uneven concrete floor as final surface

tanama
14 years ago

I searched through here and found a lot of questions about leveling an old concrete basement floor in order to install tile, laminate or some other flooring, but all I want is to level an old concrete floor and use that surface as the final flooring.

This is a very small basement (maybe 80sq ft) in an old (1930's) house, and all it's used for is to house the furnace and some storage.

However, I keep reading that most self-leveling products can't be used as the final surface to walk on. I can't believe that's true for every product out there, but I have no clue where to start looking for an option that will work for us.

Someone walks on this floor MAYBE once a month, twice at most, so there's no real traffic to deal with. Because of our extremely high water table (I'm in an area where it's extremely unusual to have a basement, for good reason!) we do get water on the floor, seeping in from the bottom seams of the basement if we get several inches of rain (like we're being blasted with right now!), so the main reason I want to smooth this floor out is to keep that water from pooling in the dips and make it easier to sweep (or automatically direct) it towards the sump well.

Suggestions for any product that a novice-to-concrete DIY person could apply fairly easily are MUCH appreciated!

Comments (2)