Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interior door

Posted by bsteeves86 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 28, 10 at 20:39

I have a door in my basement that leads under my front stairs which houses my oil tank and water softener. The door is your standard interior door which does very little to keep out cold air and creepy crawlies from coming into the basement. In an ideal world I would have the door replaced with a heavy duty door but the door jam is an akward size and not very level. Not to mention I just finished painting the entire basement including all the trim. Does anyone have any good tips for how to properly seal this door while still allowing me to use the door.

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interior door

I'm imagining that you have about a 1" space at the bottom. I believe I would purchase a threshold and install it on the floor - probably will need to saw the stop on the side of the jamb to the correct height in order to slide one below the door. This will probably close 3/4" of the space. Then purchase one of those flexible sweeps and attach to the inside bottom of the door such that it will close the remaining space. This won't make it weather tight or confine the critters but will eliminate most the the cold air.

o

You can also glue on two-three inches of EPS or XPS foam board to the service room side of the door.

o

just be sure your oil burner is not sealed up in there...they need to breath....

o

The oil tank is behind that door, however my oil burner is at the opposite side of the basement. I have a system called system 2000. Does that make sense I'm not to familiar with the system?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here