Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New basement insulation advice

Posted by jarvinen (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 23, 10 at 19:56

I'm currently in the planning stages of starting to work on my unfinished basement. We live in a cold climate (Michigan's Upper Peninsula) and my first step is to insulate and frame.

Our home was built in 2006 and has 9' poured walls in the basement. We live on top of a bluff and have a lot of sand below us so we have excellent drainage and a dry basement.

My plan was to paint the walls (and floors?) with Dry-Lok, put 2" foam board up next, then frame the walls and roll insulation between the studs. Is the Dry-Lok overkill since I'll be putting up foam? Any other advice for beginning this project?

I was also planning on putting in a subfloor of 2x4 sleepers with foam insulation between and a plywood surface.

Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New basement insulation advice

Overkill on the foundation coating.

For the floor, forget the 2x4 sleepers. ( I didn't realize anybody still used that method.) Install ply over the foam. Or use another floating floor system.

Pay attention to the areas above the foundation. Use caulking and/or polyurethane foam at the sill, then tightly-fitted XPS between the joists. Or just have the whole area sprayed with closed-cell polyurethane foam.

You might want to use lightweight metal framing instead of wood. Much less mess and no screw pops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement Insulation Systems

o

Any downside to using the foundation coating other than the extra cost and labor?

o

That is the downside. Plus, if serious leakage problems develop, the way to reduce them is from the exterior.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here