Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dehumidifier in basement with fish tank open water?

Posted by xxnonamexx (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 16:32

I have a finished basement and a door that leads to laundry room furnace. I also have a 120gal sw fish tank in the wall between the 2 rooms. I have a dehumidifier that works but I was wondering off there are any other options like maybe an exhaust fan? Will that work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dehumidifier in basement with fish tank open water?

With exhaust fan, all the air that the fan pushes out must be replaced with air coming in from somewhere. Laundry room furnace- Gas? Oil? Either must have air for combustion which must come from outside, either directly or indirectly. The proposed exhaust fan would possibly compete with the furnace for the supply of available incoming air. Or the fan would pull air/exhaust fumes down the chimney/vent pipe- with potentially deadly consequences.
The dehumidifier looks like the best choice.

o
RE: Dehumidifier in basement with fish tank open water?

Cover the tank.

It will also reduce the work to keep the water 'correct.'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here