Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Door for non-standard cellar opening?

Posted by ralleia (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 2, 10 at 16:20

Our house was built in 1931 and has some concrete steps leading down into the basement with an simple plywood door covering the opening at the top.

The elements and mice come through as they please, so I would like to install an exterior-grade door at the bottom of the steps going into the basement.

The opening doesn't appear to be any kind of standard size. There is treated wood attached to the top and sides, and the rough concrete on the floor. The size (measuring the space between wood frame) is 34 1/2 inches wide and approximately 82" tall (the concrete on the floor is not even).

What size insulated door should I acquire?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Door for non-standard cellar opening?

Just make the opening smaller to accommodate the closest size. The or a PO of my place in York Haven dug down and out some for a true step down one and walk in basement entrance..
This is wonderful for me, this guy was one good carpenter..The basement is my workshop...warm and dry...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here