Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Super Tough R as underlayment?

Posted by veloguru (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 16, 11 at 16:05

Hi, I am finishing a basement. I installed 1" ISO under the slab, and was thinking about laying 1/2" Super tough R panels on top of slab, then basement approved laminate flooring directly on top of that. I would also Tape all seams with Tyvek. Thought it would provide a moisture barrier as well as making the floor less cold. I don't have the headroom for a more elaborate insulation/subfloor system. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Super Tough R as underlayment?

Polyiso is commonly available in compressive strengths of 16-25 psi , adequate for roofs where foot traffic is limited to installation and maintenance, not for an occupied basement.

Instead, use XPS, which comes in normal strengths of 40-100 psi.. But it must be followed by one or two layers of ply.

If you want to forego the insulation, use a bubble membrane product, such as Delta FL.

Before applying laminate, be sure the manufacturer warrants it for basement use and use the subfloor materials recommended.

o
Followup

Polyiso under the slab is isn't very effective either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here