Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jac929

Questions re basement renovation - cabinets, flooring, etc.

jac929
16 years ago

We are thinking of renovating our basement by sheetrocking over existing dark paneling. We would like to put in cabinets for tv and media components as well as a few other cabinets for storage of other items. We want cabinets of decent quality but nothing too expensive. Would you please share what brand of cabinets you have used in your basement?

What flooring have you installed in your basement: carpet, tile or wood?

Did you sheetrock the ceiling or did you install ceiling panels? What type or brand of ceiling panels did you use?

Any pictures of your basement renovation would be really appreciated.

Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (3)

• fnmroberts
    16 years ago

We used IKEA cabinets for our basement. Selected them because they are designed to use separate legs for the base cabinets which means the sides do not come into contact with the floor. We felt for a basement that was practical. I would carefully check how secure your wall studs are. Some paneling is attached to furring strips which will not support wall cabinets.

Our floor is tile with area rugs. With water heater and sump pumps, we did not want wall-to-wall carpeting.

Our walls and ceiling are sheetrock. We like the look of this vs. a drop ceiling. If ever something needs to be accessed, drywall is easily patched.

Photos are linked from "My Page". Good luck.

• jac929
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you fnmroberts, for sharing what you did with your basement. I will check out the IKEA cabinetry.

Anyone one else have any other recommendations?

• chris8796
    16 years ago

I've used combinations of these all throughout the house.

In the basement, I have 3 of the base consoles together for an 8' run of basecabinets. I added a marble tile countertop and use a wall mounted LCD above the cabinets. I ran electrical outlets inside the cabinet and all the kids games, vcr, etc are in the cabinets.

I like them because they are easy to modify for custom applications, unlimited finishes, solid wood (large panels plywood) and cost effective. I use trim from the local big box the tie the pieces together and it looks like custom cabinetry.

I drywalled the ceiling, prefer the look. I left 1/3 the basement unfinished and most of the access issues (plumbing, etc) are on the unfinished side.

I used high quality carpet with 8 lb pad.

Here is a link that might be useful: unfinished cabinets

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator