Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uphill wall design

Posted by flgargoyle (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 22, 07 at 14:41

Our house in SC will have a walk-out basement- the lie of the land is just right for it. One concern I have is in designing a basement that will be secure with the uneven load- backfill on the uphill side, nothing on the downhill side. From what I've been able to learn, if an unbalanced wall is more than 30' or so long, you have to either use shear (perpendicular) walls to brace the uphill side, or incorporate jogs into the design that are perpendicular to the load. I won't be engineering my own basement- I'll leave that to the experts, but it is affecting my design ideas. I'm looking at a house of about 48' wide, so should I incorporate some jogs into the floor plan, plan on shear wall(s), or can it be strong enough without? One issue is a clay-based soil, which generates a lot more pressure on a foundation. I favor simple (think rectangular) floor plans for economy and ease of building, but not if heroics are going to be needed to make it strong.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uphill wall design

I usually don't answer my own posts, but I've since learned that I will definitely have to reinforce that uphill wall somehow. I'm going to see how much the shear wall(s) would add to the cost, then make a decision whether to go that route, or make a 'jogged' design to get the same effect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here