Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
roxul now in my HD...question

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 21, 11 at 14:05

Worthy, others...you noted Roxul might be a safer alternative to foam xps in my basement , in the ceiling, for the seat of my fireplace (prior recent topic). You did note (after I posted a pic) that since wood was around the seat, xps was probably safe. I was in HD today�what do I see�.Roxul! I was speaking with the guy since I was unsure what was appropriate, the staright roxul or the safe and sound. My concern being the fire proof aspect. The guy in HD was not sure. Both packages say fire retardent.

FYI: there was a busted bag of 5.5" x 16" straight R30 Roxul�.he said I could grab 2 bats for free as they could not sell them. I took them�figure I could always use them somewhere! The question is are they appropriate for under that fireplace�.recall I had fg in there all along with no issue but I might as well do it right�

(Man, I wish they had this a few years back�would have been way easier than facing the foam I put in the rim joist with drywall!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: roxul now in my HD...question

would have been way easier than facing the foam I put in the rim joist with drywall!)

As an ignition/thermal barrier, that's a different use than you are proposing. And it is acceptable. (Check with local agency with jurisdiction to be sure.)

Used as wall insulation, mineral wool has to be covered with an air barrier to be effective.

o

so its an appropriate fire barrier if I understand you...do you know the difference between the straight roxul and the safe and sound...just curious...

o

do you know the difference between the straight roxul and the safe and sound.

Only what I read on their website (see link)-- that Safe 'n Sound is for soundproofing and fire protection not energy conservation purposes, as it's denser than the Comfort Batt.

For instance, S&S is 2.5 lbs./ft.3 vs. R-15 Comfort Batts at 2lbs./ft. 3.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roxul

o

so the comfort roxul appears to offer some rvalue and is fire proof though so I think I should use it under the fp....?

o

looked on the website....interesting...s&s apparently is for sound deadening + fire retardancy. I assume what I have...regular roxul is something I could use...offers fire retardency (though to what degree I could not tell since the link on the website did not work!---hopefully better than fg) and inslulates...

Agree?

Are you further saying for this roxul to be effective I need to cover the area with a piece of drywall...or its simply less effective without it?

o

Used as insulation, low density fibrous materials such as mineral wool should be covered by an air barrier. Otherwise, convective looping and air pressure moving through the product from wind can subvert its performance. (See link.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Building Science Corp.: Cavity Insulation

o

interesting stuff....I had fg in there..made a huge difference...I am going to fireproof caulk the gaps and put the roxul in....it should be safer and be can be no worse insulation wise than the fg..I'd prefer not to drywall that spot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here