Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding a Powder Room

Posted by mkkristen (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 07 at 10:51

Our basement is finished with the exception of one room that is storage and the laundry room right now. We are doing an addition above our garage and moving the laundry room up there. We will be leaving the hookups in the basement though for any future buyers who want the washer dryer in the basement. What I'd like to do though, is put a powder room in that unfinished area. Since there is already plumbing down there, how difficult(i.e. how expensive) is this going to be? Is this something that can be done fairly inexpensively? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding a Powder Room

Unfortunately, you're probably not that much ahead. You'll need a 4" sanitary line to handle the toilet and most likely your washer does not have that large of discharge pipe. Plus, you'll need to vent your bathroom and your washer would not likely have been vented. So, the only thing you gain is having the fresh water in the general area.

I suggest you speak with whomever is relocating the laundry for you and get an on-site opinion.

o
RE: Adding a Powder Room

There are definitely ways to convert that room to a bathroom, but I think us online folks would have to know a little bit more about the particulars of your current plumbing. The suggestion to speak to the people responsible for plumbing the upstairs is a good place to start.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here