Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement insulation

Posted by tonyzzztony (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 2, 06 at 10:51

Im going to put up 2" XPS foam on the walls, frame it with 2X3 24" O.C. and later drywall it. Basement is 9' high, 5' underground. I was told to adhere the XPS to the walls to avoid any air movements but walls are not flat. Walls were also sprayed with some kind of a granular substance which will make more difficult adhering the XPS to the walls.
Any advice what kind of adhesive to use to get the XPS sticking to the wall without air gaps?? If this is not possible should I use a vapor barrier between the walls and the foam?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement insulation

Same problem here on new construction. Leaking forms create concrete ridges on the walls. Instead of adhesive, I use concrete screws and fender washers, tape the xps board joints and caulk and tape at the ends of the boards. The vapour barrier will only trap moisture moving from exterior to interior with no place for it to go.

See link below for best methods. (Open PDF file.)

Here is a link that might be useful: building science corporation

o
RE: Basement insulation

Thanks worthy. I'm curious if you used the pink foam or the blue foam. They are both XPS with the same R value ..pink foam is made by Owens Corning blue foam is made by Dow chemicals

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here