Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Radon Mitigation System Installation

Posted by mtb54703 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 23, 11 at 10:40

I'm looking at installing a radon mitigation system. I have a two flu fireplace - one is used for wood burning fireplace on the first floor. The second flu was intended for a wood burning stove in the basement - which I have no intention of using. Can I pipe the radon out the flu?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Radon Mitigation System Installation

We bought a house this year. Had the home inspector test it for radon. Measured 5 in our basement. Still trying to decide what type of mitigation to pursue but I like your idea of venting it through the flue.

They say radon levels can vary from room to room (or different floors) and that these levels can fluctuate throughout the year. We didn't want to have to pay for more tests so we bought a radon detector that can be plugged into the wall 24/7.

We plan to see how the measurements are on all 3 floors before we decide how to mitigate.

I'll be watching this thread to see what others say. Any feedback about the type of detector I purchased would be helpful (thanks!).

A link that might be useful:

www.4radon.com/ssradeforinu.html

o
RE: Radon Mitigation System Installation

Radon gas must be evacuated in a PVC piping. That can be placed in the chimney flue. But if you're using an active system, i.e., an exhaust fan, placing the fan at the top will be tricky. A passive radon system doesn't require a fan but may not be adequate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Building Science Corp.:Soil-Gas Control

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here