Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Battery back up sump pump

Posted by drewem (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 10:04

Hello all. I was wondering about the performance of battery back up sump pumps?

We lost power for 5 days due to Sandy. The basement flooded because the sump pump did not work.

If we get a battery back up sump pump, do we need to replace the 5 yr old working (when there is power) sump? Or some how hook the battery up to it?

Is there a suggested brand? Or is battery back up not the way to go? Maybe a different type of sump pump?

Thanks for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Battery back up sump pump

A battery powered pump is actually a 2nd pump unit, installed in the pit with the float set to activate when the water level rises above the level for the standard pump. A 2nd discharge pipe is recommended.

Battery is continously charged via a charger connected to electricity. Battery pump time is affected by the condition (newness) of the battery, feet of lift and frequency of use. Good chance after 5 days a battery would be exhausted.

I installed a water powered back-up sump pump. Did so because I'll never have to worry about a battery.

Whatever you buy, get a good one, not the $89 special at a box store. All of my pumps are Zoeller but there are many good brands.

o

Thank you very much fnmroberts. I will research a water powered one. The rain wasn't constant for those 5 days, so I think that even a full day or 2 would have been enough. How long do batteries last?

Would it be an issue if there was only one discharge pipe? Or can one be added after the fact?

o

Because I don't have a battery powered pump I can't offer personal experience with battery life. I believe Marine batteries are recommended and I would expect a couple years might be a logical replacement cycle.

Some building codes require the discharge lines to be separated, not certain why. Yes, a second discharge pipe can be installed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here