Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement chimnet access

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 6, 09 at 9:28

Our home was built with a sort of double chimney. The big one with the big cap services the family room (gas log set) The second one that runs right along side it apparently is in the basement. Will we ever connect a pellet stove or somethong...who knows. Right now the opening is stuffed with fg insulation. What is the propper way to frame around this hole? There is also an Ash cleanout which we will never use below the hole. Should I just drywall over all this and if we ever decide to use a pellet stove then just open the wall? Is that code compliant? Am I better off installing one of those little sqaure pass thru type door things here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement chimnet access

If you ever use this chimney you should keep the cleanout, that is where all the dead birds wind up.

To close it I would get a few bricks and mortar them in place. In case you ever want to use it the bricks will pop out pretty easily and in the meantime will provide an excellent seal.

o
RE: Basement chimney access

I thought the cleanout was where I could sweep in my ashes above and go down and empty it in the basement? We have gas logs...no ask. We also have chimney caps so birds better not get in there?

I was thinking about keeping ot open...who knows we may want a pellet stove or something someday. Right now its lined with fg insulation. The real question is 1) will fg suffice. 2) should I measure exactly where the hole is and put the deminsions some where safe and just drywall over it for now...or keep some sort of little door there for furture access?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here