Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
XPS on the basement floor

Posted by jimbo22s (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 3, 08 at 9:24

There is a lot of discussion in this forum about XPS on the walls but not as much about it on the floor. How common is it to insulate the floor with XPS? How much is the 1/2" plywood in your area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: XPS on the basement floor

Even though I'm in a cold zone, it's extremely uncommon to insulate the floor simply because it's not Code required. I expect the payback would be quite long, far exceeding the original homeowner's occupancy. Below-grade wall insulation is needed for mould prevention, but that does not apply to the floors. However, certain types of flooring materials would work better with foam underlayments.

o
RE: XPS on the basement floor

I used 1/2" XPS under 1/2" plywood on the floor of our now finished walk-out basement. It seemed to help the temperature of the basement, but I can't seperate how much impact insulating the floor had versus the walls and rim joist area. Installation was difficult to say the least, since I preferred using screws for fasteners. We used carpet, wood, and a small amount of tile flooring in the basement, so at least the installation of those was much easier. The floor isn't hard enough now to be a problem for my kids, which was the main goal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here