Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smoothing concrete floor - how?

Posted by pam29011 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 24, 11 at 6:49

About 18m ago we had a perimeter drain installed in our house to deal with a wet basement. It works great.

But the guys who installed it did a half-arsed job in some places when it was time to put new cement down & make it level with the existing floor. In some places it's good, but in many places it isn't a smooth transition. There's 1/8" to 1/4" difference, with the new area being higher (and it's not tapered down to the existing slab).

Someday we want to put vinyl or linoleum on the floor down there (whichever is least likely to support mold/mildew). But I know we'll need to fix this discontinuity first.

Is it best to use some kind of textured hammer to knock down the edge of the high spots & smooth over with a self-leveling compound? Or ...?

I thought we might have to level the whole floor to the new patched areas But it's only the 12" of floor around the perimeter, it seems like a waste to raise the whole floor to the highest point, doesn't it? We're not going for a finished basement, just want something less dusty on the floor to make it easier to vacc down there. It's used to store tools & for exercise equipment & laundry. We don't need a bonus room or anything in the basement. So, perfection isn't the goal but I know if we just slapped vinyl on the floor as it is the shine of the vinyl would really highlight the lumps & bumps along the seam where new meets old floor.

Thanks in advance!
-Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smoothing concrete floor - how?

Vinyl directly on concrete is a poor choice as in most basements there is a constant pressure of water vapour that will lift the tiles or create mildew/mould problems. Ditto linoleum with a natural jute backing.

Concrete grinders can be rented that will smooth the concrete or even polish the whole thing like a jewel. Or you can just smooth it and cover in a latex concrete floor paint.

o

To get an idea of the price to smooth your floor, contact a terrazzo contractor. They can wet grind concrete very smooth with no dust.

o

That never occurred to me - to see what a pro would charge to smooth out the edges (even the whole floor). Thanks! I thought vinyl was good for basements (or at least okay to use there) b/c of watching too many home improvement shows where they've put the vinyl "wood" strips on the floor, saying it was a better option than laminate flooring.

I think smoothing + epoxy paint will be a good solution.

Thanks!
-Pam

o

Make sure they use water when grinding, cement contains silica and is not meant to be breathed in ( it never leaves your lungs) Have them shop vac the water as they grind it will be messy till they are done

o

I thought vinyl was good for basements (or at least okay to use there) b/c of watching too many home improvement shows where they've put the vinyl "wood" strips on the floor, saying it was a better option than laminate flooring.

I want to scream every time I see this hunk from Canuckistan finish a basement using fiberglass insulation and a vapour barrier.

Vinyl in a basement over a proper underlayment such as Delta FL is unaffected by moisture and resistant to mould.

This post was edited by worthy on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 12:24

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here