Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pam29011

Smoothing concrete floor - how?

pam29011
12 years ago

About 18m ago we had a perimeter drain installed in our house to deal with a wet basement. It works great.

But the guys who installed it did a half-arsed job in some places when it was time to put new cement down & make it level with the existing floor. In some places it's good, but in many places it isn't a smooth transition. There's 1/8" to 1/4" difference, with the new area being higher (and it's not tapered down to the existing slab).

Someday we want to put vinyl or linoleum on the floor down there (whichever is least likely to support mold/mildew). But I know we'll need to fix this discontinuity first.

Is it best to use some kind of textured hammer to knock down the edge of the high spots & smooth over with a self-leveling compound? Or ...?

I thought we might have to level the whole floor to the new patched areas But it's only the 12" of floor around the perimeter, it seems like a waste to raise the whole floor to the highest point, doesn't it? We're not going for a finished basement, just want something less dusty on the floor to make it easier to vacc down there. It's used to store tools & for exercise equipment & laundry. We don't need a bonus room or anything in the basement. So, perfection isn't the goal but I know if we just slapped vinyl on the floor as it is the shine of the vinyl would really highlight the lumps & bumps along the seam where new meets old floor.

Thanks in advance!

-Pam

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH