Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glass Block Windows and Cold

Posted by mmichaelk (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 07 at 0:30

I live in Michigan and have a cinderblock basement (1200 square feet), year round carpet over 1950's tile on the floor, three heat registers (outlets). I also have 7 windows all of which are glass block. The basement gets very cold during the winter and I'm wondering if the glass block windows are transferring the cold from the outside into my basement.

I've stuffed insulation all around the perimeter between the outer walls and joists. I've also checked for air leaks and found none. I'm wondering if I were to attach a sheet of plexiglass over the glass block window area, if it would warm things up a bit. It would sort of function like an inside storm glass/window. Any thoughts?

BTW, I can't put an auxillary heater down there for a couple more years due to the fact that my three year old boys play down there unsupervised at times. Too risky.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glass Block Windows and Cold

My mom has glass bocks in several basement windows. Her basement was always cold prior to the glass block windows, so I suspect the real problem is due to a lack of heat, rather than heat loss at the windows.

I'm no expert, but 3 heat registers doesn't sound like enough for 1200 sq ft. Also, the heat registers do better job close to the windows.
Do you have any returns? My mom's basement doesn't have any returns and probably could use a few more registers, especially over the windows.
Hope this helps.
-jasper

o

We also added glass block to a couple of basements, which improved their warmth. If you simply have cinderblock walls with no insulation, that's also going to be a source of heat loss. Cool air is going to settle, which makes your basement floor potentially the coolest spot in the house. If your basement registers were like mine, they were just cut into the main trunk that went down the center of the house. Since heat rises, and since the heat registers were at the ceiling, the warm air never reached the floor. I'm guessing the cheapest thing to do is circulate the air in the basement, which is probably best done by adding a return air duct.

I'm just guessing in all of this, though.

o

You have the best hope of achieving a warm basement by making changes on the furnace side. My guess you'll need to add some more registers and returns. You will still need to run the furnace with the fan on continously to keep the cold air from settling in the basement. I have a well insulated basement with returns and plenty of ducts. I use a programable thermostat that allows you to also program the fan setting. When we are home and active, I run the fan all the time and the entire house is the same temperature. The thermostat also has a nice feature, in addition to "fan" and "auto" fan settings it has a "circ" setting that runs the fan with heat demand and 33 % of the time randomly to circulate the air. The thermostat is well worth the money.

good luck

o

Most glass blocks are filled with an inert gas which is a great insulator.

o

Some insulating window treatment ideas:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/conservation.htm#WindowTreatments

Here is a link that might be useful: builditsolar.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here