Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement Finishing in St. Louis

Posted by srondt (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 2, 06 at 0:06

I am weighing the following two options for my 1850 SF basement: basic finish with a single powder room (no other rooms) in St. Louis.

a) Handyman: does all framing, wiring ( with licensed electrician connecting to mains), drywall, taping and painting himself. Plumber for powder room plumbing. Dropped ceiling with drywall around ducts, will lose 1 of 5 windows due to ductwork. No permits. Finish quality: average. $37000

b) Reputable and reliable builder: all permits, subcontracts all work to trusted quality workforce, drywall ceiling. All windows stay intact (will move duct work), provides all finishing touches such as skirts for stairs, frames window with moisture resistant drywall return, access doors for critical wall infrastructure (rather than access panel). Finish quality: excellent and comparable with main living area except that it is not fancy in any way: $53000

Any opinions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement Finishing in St. Louis

If you are going to spend 37,000.00 for the job you may as well spend the 53,000.00 and have the proper permits for the work. I don't know if you're in the city or the county. I know the county is strict with basement work and depending on the municipality you can be in real trouble when its time to sell without permits. Seems like you would be saving doing the work without the permits but in reality you will be losing money if you have to tear it out or run into other problems with the inspectors.
JMHO.

o
RE: Basement Finishing in St. Louis

I'm all for saving money. But any contractor who promises a lower price as long as there are no permits is not someone I'd care to deal with. Improperly done wiring and plumbing can injure, even kill you.

Also, your quotes are not comparing like things. Shop the specs of the higher quote around. That price sounds high to me. St. Louis isn't San Francisco or White Plains.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here