Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy_d_r

Moles in the basement? What the?

amy_d-r
16 years ago

So a month or so ago my husband found a mole (not a vole, definitely a mole) dead in the basement. Today, I was doing laundry and found a live mole. I'm fairly certain it was a mole (no visible ears or tail), but I didn't look at it for very long before I screamed and ran like a little girl... my husband is the one that took it out and he thinks it was a mole as well after looking at pictures of both.

I thought the first mole was a fluke, but now that there's two I really need to figure out how they're getting in. My googling was unsuccessful, so I don't think this is a common problem. Judging from the first mole, it probably couldn't find its way back out once it got in. As far as I know, there are no real cracks or holes in the wall or floor. There is a floor drain, and I wonder if it got up through that. Which means maybe there is a hole in the sewer line, or how else would they get in that way...

Anyone else have moles in the basement? Or have any ideas about how they got in and how to keep them out? The idea of finding a dead mole terrifies me more than a live one, so I'd rather not put out any traps or poison them or anything.

Comments (4)