Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to install lights in a ceiling

Posted by mowers (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 07 at 22:52

I hope this does not sound like a "silly" question. I saw a zero drop ceiling were the channels get screwed to the joists. How do recessed lights get installed with this system. Do I use regular new construction brackets? Kind of thinking...how do you get the light lined up with everything so it rests in the middle of the panel? You would have to get the panel centered on the joist space for the recessed light to fit into so the can can fit up into the ceiling. For a drop ceiling, I assume the light somehow installs onto the panel, so you can get them centered.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to install lights in a ceiling

mowers - great question. I ahve been thinking about this too.

I plan on using this track system that screws directly into the joists. It's a 2 piece system that makes an I beam like bracket and is self leveling. Only needs about 2 inches of clearance.

I would think that the drop ceiling brackets for recessed housings could still be used. The only question I have is that these I beam things are plastic and I am not sure how they hold - do the recessed bracktes just snap on or do you have to screw them in?

For regular 8d round electrical boxes, I am not sure what to do. I guess you could use the ones that have brackets too but the weight of the light fixture might be an issue.

Hopefully someone who has experience with these drop ceiling systems will respond. What type and where are you getting your ceiling tiles?

o

Getting from Home Depot. I can't recall the brand name, but the tracks are made from pvc material. You screw them to the joists in certain areas, and bend them over, slip in the panel, and then release to hold it in place. Uses one inch from what I recall. I have a low ceiling...so I cannot do a true drop ceiling.

o

Ok, I'm no expert, but I would think it's very easy.

You use new construction cans, leaving extra wiring at each can (in case it needs to be moved over). Moving them is easy, especially with all the access you have. You can attach them with the quick nailing tab or screw them - I'd screw them since you can unscrew them more easily. As for side adjustment, they slide back and forth until you tighten the lock screw. So have no fear, install them and be sure your electrician leaves the extra wire at each can.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here