Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sump pump didn't fix stench..what next?

Posted by patsdaddy (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 1, 09 at 22:31

I live in a ranch with a basement ready to be finished except we have a stench we can not get rid of. Our home is built(as is the whole neighborhood)on what used to be a clay pit. We are the only house in our neighborhood with a an issue of a sewer like smell that has now penetrated our main living floor in every room.
In the basement we can have an area cutout of the basement floor foundation that directly accesses the drain pipe used for the stormdrains to the street. This pipe is capped (some of our neighbors leave theirs uncapped but when we did this, the smell was even worse). We have installed a sump pump to remove some of the high water level that ideally should flow down that pippe but the ground water level is still present whether or not the cap is on the drainage pipe so we keep it capped. We have had numeous plumbers as well as the Town Public Works dept out to look at it but but no one will give us any help as to how to fix this problem or why after 5 years it is suddenly an issue. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sump pump didn't fix stench..what next?

I take it your not on a septic?? But a public sewer?

Did you pay any of the numerous plumbers to run a camera down your sewer line? To make sure that it is not broken??

My dad is just selling his house. Plumbing works fine. An inspection of the plumbing - paid for by the buyers - found that his plumbing line is broke. Been sending waste into the ground for who knows how long.... Now, it's going to get repaired.

So, have you had your plumbing insides checked? If your on a septic - then you should be looking into your 'as built'.

o
RE: Sump pump didn't fix stench..what next? another thought

Another thought - if YOUR plumbing is truly ok...

My dad lives on a steep hill. He has some driveway ground errosion. We now think that possibly this was caused by his sewer problem... Where does all that waste - which is not correctly going down the drain - go???

So just a thought - possibly one of your neighbors has a plumbing problem - and does not know it. His waste might be accumulating beneath or near your house.... Causing your smell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here