Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmgch

basement flooring - tile or finished concrete

lmgch
9 years ago

we're planning a reno that will include expanding and finishing our basement

we are considering flooring for the entry area, bar area and hallway. we're fairly certain we're going to carpet the media room and the gym room will have rubber mats

we've had multiple suggestions from different contractors including:
- finishing the concrete
- some sort of ceramic or stone tile
- vinyl "tile"

we've gotten various pros and cons from different people

concrete con per different contractors:
finishing will be a super messy process, possibly very expensive, and cold/unpleasant. we are running heat into the basement, but i understand that the floor would be very cold.

concrete pro per different contractors:
it will look very appealing and we won't have to worry about it being exactly perfectly smooth, as we might need to worry if installing tile. also, if we're concerned about head height (which we are), we've been told we could possibly save almost 3/4" of an inch by not putting anything on top of the concrete.

tile con per different contractors:
finishing could be tricky because basement floors are not always perfectly smooth. and it will still be cold. and it could be pricey.

tile pro per different contractors:
supposedly less pricy than concrete finishing. looks

vinyl con per different contractors:
the vinyl we've been told about is something called free-fit. one specific contractor said that he's installed it without issue in two homes, but in a third there has been issue because the interlocking mechanism is "very fine" and temperature fluctuation caused it start separating. also, possibly looks - we've not seen it yet, but slightly turned off by idea of vinyl

vinyl pro per different contractors:
great option for basement floor because it's more forgiving than regular tile with regard to slight fluctuation in the floor surface

anyway, would really appreciate thoughts on the above and/or any other thoughts or suggestions you've got for basement flooring

thanks!

Comments (6)

• eibren
    9 years ago

If you get any flooding or seepage at all, I would go with concrete.

We have a full basement and the previous owners installed tile in one room. After we briefly had six inches of water down there after a horrendous rainfall of two or three inches in one day, the tile loosened and is now a mess. It didn't all come off, though, so to have a smooth surface we will have to pay to have it all removed before we can do anything else with the floor.

I wish they had left it as concrete, as is the rest of the basement. The concrete was not ruined by the brief water incursion. Where they placed the tile, the floor is a mess.

• ralphevans
    9 years ago

Choosing basement flooring can be like choosing a new pair of shoes - you have to pick the one that looks and feels just right. It is first important to decide the purpose of your basement. If you will be using the space primarily as storage area, then you may want to consider an epoxy coating for the space. Not only is this a budget-friendly option for improving the appearance of your basement, but epoxy floor coating comes in a multitude of colors and designs. This allows for a multifunctional space that is resistant to spills and messes that are common in basements.

• worthy
    9 years ago

Ralphevans, when you cut and paste from the internet, attribute it and /or provide the link.

after a horrendous rainfall of two or three inches in one day, the tile loosened and is now a mess

Tile or stone installed with modified thinset should not lift if properly applied. After all, tiles are used in swimming pools.

Vinyl flooring directly on the concrete in a basement should be avoided as "impermeable layers inhibit inward drying and typically lead to moldgrowth [sic] and other moisture problems," according to Building Science Corp.

This post was edited by worthy on Mon, Dec 15, 14 at 7:55

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

You are (perhaps intentionally) missing a couple options that IMO have excellent potential in a basement. We had cork floors in our last home and are currently shopping for the same for the house we are remodeling right now. The are warm (much warmer than concrete or tile) and soft on the feet. Also engineered wood products can be made for below grade.

With both of these you need to have a dry basement. If you have any chance of water/flooding then not good choices.

There is also a product of stone/expoxy (everstonefloors.com one seller) that really would be an excellent choice IMO for a basement that might have some water. I went to their store and it really does look very nice and it will not be bothered by moisture as it allows the slab to dry upwards. It's fairly expensive however.

• momfromthenorth
    9 years ago

We put sealer down on our concrete basement floors many, many, many years ago and then tiled with an inexpensive vinyl (self-stick) tile. We have a study, family room and laundry room down there. It worked for us through 2 children and much playing. Never had any flooding and now I'm ready to have it removed and put something new down. Cork sounds like a nice option. Thanks for that suggestion!

• happyallison
    9 years ago

We had acid washed concrete floors in our last home's basement and they were lovely and I was thankful when we had a tiny water incident of a drain backing up in our utility room. However we had radiant floor heat. Without that the floors were cold. I'm considering my options in this home, we were down to vinyl or engineered wood (cork was just pricier in some cases but considered this also). Probably going with the wood for warmth, and yes it's a gamble with part of the basement below grade.