Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What size dehumidifier do I need for my basement?

Posted by dilettante (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 2, 10 at 21:54

Hi -- I need some advice about what size dehumidifier I need for my unheated basement in MA. My house was built about 1870 and has a rubblestone foundation. About half of the basement floor has a thin veneer of concrete and the rest is dirt. Up to now, I didn't attempt to run a dehumidifier because it seemed like it would just be a losing battle, but after flooding last spring (like most of eastern MA and RI) and a humid summer, the humidity level down there has not returned to normal.

The basement footprint is 1000 sq. ft. and the ceiling height is just under 8', if that helps. I plan to run a hose from the dehumidifier to my sump so I won't have to empty the dehumidifier tank manually.

Also, if anyone can recommend a particular brand or model that is quiet, reliable, energy-efficient, and designed to run at lower temperatures, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What size dehumidifier do I need for my basement?

You need a dehumidifier with at least 9 liters a day capacity. Sealing the soil-only portion of the floor will also do a great lot to reduce water vapout in the basement.

Here is a link that might be useful: Choosing a Dehumidifier

o

Thanks, Worthy. So that would be about 20 pints, right?

What's the best way to seal the dirt floor -- putting down plastic sheets?

o

19.03 US pints. But you should always round up when it comes to dehumidifiers.

6 mil poly should help, as long as you don't walk on it. Better yet, 4 inches of concrete atop 5 inches of gravel.

o

Thanks. I'll try the plastic. I'd love to put down a proper concrete floor, but it will have to wait.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here