Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
doors in basements

Posted by keith13 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 19, 07 at 21:51

I need only 5 doors for our remodeled basement and I would like 6 panel hollow doors or solid if I can't get hollow. The problem is the height. Most of these doors at Home Depto etc are standard sizes but I need doors that are only 69' high. I have in the past cut full size hollow doors down to size but with a 6 panelled design the top and bottom look out of proportion if I do this. Has anyone out there ordered doors with 6 paneled design in custom sizes?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: doors in basements

Sounds like you have 6 foot ceilings?
Anyway, bifold closet doors may be an option as well.
-jasper

o

How about using flat hollow core door? Cut them down and apply molding strips to the surface with glue for the six-panel look.

You could special order, but $$$$$

o

Here's the crazy thing I did (but it turned out fine - not sure I' do it again, though):

Install prehung, flat hollow-core doors, and cut them down to the needed lengths, jambs and all. Ripped and cut a filler piece to fill the bottom door gap (due to the cut), and glued it in.

Note: after the cut, the hinges and door knobs were low and awkward-looking. I bored new lock holes, morticed, etc, and used the bored-out piece to fill in the old hole, finishing each hole with Minwax performance wood filler (two-part stuff). BTW, mixing batches on a piece of cardboard with a putty knife is far easier than using their plastic mixing lid.

After the doorknobs were adjusted, it looked fine (imho). The low hinges didn't seem to catch the eye.

And lastly, you could add molding to the door surface to get that six-panel look. Note that you probably can't do this for pocket doors, since it might be too wide for the pocket.

....this all being said, ordering custom six-panels might sound like an affordable alternative after all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here