Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
XPS under floor insulation/vented crawlspace?

Posted by attofarad (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 20, 11 at 21:36

I live in a moderate climate, in a house built over a vented crawlspace. Presently there is no floor insulation. I'm considering doing some spot insulation, in particular under a bathroom. I could put fiberglass batts between the floor joist, but I'm also considering using 2" XPS, which would also be between the floor joists. Small area, so the slightly increased installation time wouldn't be much.

Okay, or bad idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: XPS under floor insulation/vented crawlspace?

I doubt insulating one area will make any difference. But if you're doing it, use the XPS as it won't be affected by moisture.

To make a real difference consider converting your vented crawl into an unvented conditioned space.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crawl Space Insulation

o

I would be doing the XPS under a tile bathroom floor, to make the floor a bit less cold in winter. Tile plus backer plus 3/4" plywood only comes to maybe R=1.5, so an increase to R-10 should make a difference.

Pretty rough crawlspace (rock, rebar) which would need quite a bit of work to make it where plastic could be put on the "dirt". Much of it is well under 24" of clearance, and as it was added on there are 3 separate zones (think of as "peripheral" foundation right through the middle of the house. I also draw combustion air from the crawlspace, so that would need some changes also.

o

Expect the tile to still be cold, despite insulation. For a small area such as a bathroom, electric radiant heat under tile is terrific.( Unless floor is installed already??).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here