Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Garage' Basement

Posted by parkplaza (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 07 at 21:26

I have my garage at below grade level due to a drive that goes around to the rear of my house. The entire rear wall is below grade and the one side wall slopes back so a good portion of that is below grade. The other side wall is block, but is a wall between the garage and basement. The humidity in the room is terrible, I have rusty tools, smelly car interiors, etc. I had a heating/AC square duct exposed that dripped in the summer. I insulated around that and stopped that issue. Is there anything else to be done? I have the higher end garage doors with insulation too. Short of leaving the doors opened all the time, is there anything I can do. I dehumidifier would be essentially dehumidifiying the entire earth because the garage door is not a perfect seal. I was thinking about screwing XPS to the walls and leave that exposed. I am OK with pink walls, but will this help? I have not water leaks, so I guess it is coming from the cool block below grade issue.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Garage' Basement

If the problem is mainly in the summer, I think it results from warm moist outside air coming into the cool garage, resulting in near 100% relative humidity in the garage.

Insulating the walls should help some, as the insulation will help retain heat in the garage whigh will result in a lower relative humidity (relative humidity is dependant on temperature). Sealing the gaps (to the extent practicle) to prevent moisture laden outdoor air from entering will also help. But a dehumidifier might be something that you will need to run when it is particularly hot and humid outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here