Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Use for area under the steps?

Posted by countryboymo (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 7, 09 at 21:14

I am planning on finishing my basement and still am undecided what to do with or how to utilize the area under the steps. Please throw your ideas out and any pictures would be great!

Thanks,

Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Use for area under the steps?

When I finished ours, the bedroom on one side of the stairs got a small, tall closet (24" deep) with rod in the taller part and some suitcase storage, etc. in the shorter part. Since the wall was framed against the side of the stairway, I used a regular 24" door, such that when it's opened, one can see the the angle of the stairway, with the closet being just below.

The family room on the other side got a 12" deep storage area for games, etc. That wall was also framing against the stairway, and I build a rectangular opening into it. The plan was to add doors, but everyone like it open, so that's how it has remained.

And under the very tallest part of the stairs is our AC air handler closet, which opens to a rear hallway.

o
RE: Use for area under the steps?

my space is oddly shaped and I think I am leaving mine open. I'll put a desk or something underneath. I'll already have two large clostes and making this a 3rd would feel like too much. I may sheet rock the bottom or not. It depends on what you are using the basement for....for us its a play area so not real formal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here