Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should i seal basement walls?

Posted by Liberty2 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 20:56

I have a new home just built, basement 3800ft with 10ft ceilings and a walk out, i put tar mixed with rubber that was sprayed on my outside foundation, did a french drain too. However my area has clay and holds water. I run a dehumidifier and keep it at 50%. My basement is insulated on ceiling. I have a musty smell down there, should i seal the walls with a dry lock product, does anyone recommend anything else product wise? I also want to install an HVAC with it unfinished so kids can play and breath and cool in summer and heat in winter, i am in long island NY.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should i seal basement walls?

So you're on the North Shore. Otherwise, you'd find mostly sand on the terminal moraines that are Long Island. Backfilling with sand or adding a bubble foundation wrap would have been your best bet against liquid water.

Before enduring the odoriferous mess of Drylok I'd add another dehumidifier. We run two in the basement of our 3,700 sf home to keep the humidity below 50%.

Drylok has a number of detractors. But I see that Paul Fisette, director of Building Materials and Wood Technology at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst is not one of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here