Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finishing the basement in a new home

Posted by
francine-2006
(gw:francine-2006) on
Mon, Oct 2, 06 at 20:45

I was wondering if it would be wise to finish the basement in my new home. i need some suggestions please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finishing the basement in a new home

francine,
I finished the basement in my new house after it was a little over a year old. I think its a good idea to give things time to settle and address any problems that may arise.
It also gives you time to plan things out too.
Enjoy your new home!

-jasper

o
RE: Finishing the basement in a new home

Wait a full year before finishing your basement. That gives the house time to experience all four seasons and any foundation or water problems will likely show up by then.

Remember too that most home warranties will only return things to their original condition. So, for example, if the builder needs to rip out one of the basement walls you built to inspect the foundation he isn't going to put it back.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here