Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sewwhatsnew_gw

Basement Bar

sewwhatsnew
15 years ago

I haven't seen many posts regarding bars, we are moving and there is a pretty cool custom oak bar in the basement.

I need to repaint the walls, and am thinking about earth tone colors. Does anyone have pictures of bars in the basement to share. Decorating ideas?? I can post on the decorating forum. Color suggestions?? Wine theme?? Sports Bar?? Hubby likes nascar more than sports.

Comments (9)

• vermont_blue
    15 years ago

I recently finished my basement and included a wetbar. I'd like to share a picture but don't know how?

• dgmarie
    15 years ago

Try the home decorating forum. Much more traffic and more photos.

• Lisa Hayes
    15 years ago

Here a few pics of ours. I let DH have free reign, so alas the tacky dog picture next to the pool table. After looking at the pics, I realize it's a bit dated now, but it rarely gets used now. Only on holidays and family gatherings. My husband wanted a tavern style basement.

• sewwhatsnew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Love2weed,
    Thank you for the pictures, I was so happy to see your basement was painted green. Do you like it?? Today I will finish taking down border in our basement, next I'll be priming white, and very soon deciding upon a color. I am considering old salem gray, an olive green which I used in living areas in the last home. It a bright walkout basement with 3 large windows, just need a color to compliment bar, pool table and living areas which are open to one another. Bar stools are a deep burgandy/eggplant color so I will need to find pics or rugs to compliment them.

• Lisa Hayes
    15 years ago

I still like the green for that space. Probably would not use it upstairs. DH loves it, he wanted a tavern color and this is a color you seen in taverns and pubs. But, if I were doing something more "elegant", I would go for another color. The Salem Gray sounds nice.

• pete_p_ny
    15 years ago

Not to sound mean, but basement bars ring out "1970s basement." I have ripped out more basement bars when redoing basements than you can imagine. Most will say, they only used them several times in the past 30 years.

• ILoveRed
    15 years ago

we just built our house 3 yrs ago and dh wanted a bar, he always dreamed of a bar, and a pool table area--I figured he deserved it.

So, I have to disagree with pete as well.

He has his mancave decorated as a shrine to the St. Louuis Cardinals and the old stadium :-)

The bar is the hangout at all gatherings kind of like the kitchen island is for those of us hanging out upstairs at gatherings.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1382520}}

• sewwhatsnew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Walls are primed, I'm considering this rug, need a neutral paint that will compliment both if I purchase the rug.
    Looking for suggestions to compliment light oak bar, fireplace, and built-in cabinets. Would BM Putnam Ivory, or BM Monroe Bisque work?? Or lighter, BM Sandy White??? Or BM Richmond Gold??? I think that might be too similar to the oak wood color.
    {{gwi:1386563}}

{{gwi:1386564}}