Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wall between basement and garage

Posted by lthurtle (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 10, 07 at 19:28

Hi everyone,

We just bought a new house, gutted the 1960's finished basement 'cuz of an awful stink and found out that the wall between the basement and garage is simply wood-framed with regular drywall and fiberglass insulation.

Since it's halfway down already, I'd like to completely replace the wall with something fire (and water) resistant.

Can anyone list the best materials to use and the best way to build the wall?

I worry about the drywall going to the floor, and even the wood frame on the floor because of water from the car when it rains or snows.

I'd also like the wall to be relatively bug and critter proof.

Thanks for any ideas and help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wall between basement and garage

House about making the bottom of the wall out of concrete block?

o

Nice idea! Would I use concrete as mortar and mortar the blocks to the floor and to one another?

Would that be waterproof?

Then I could just frame with wood on top of it, right?

o

You would use "mortar" to set the blocks to the floor and to each other.

Sticking the concrete blocks to the concrete floor with mortar is trickier that it sounds. The concrete blocks will stick to each other nicely, because they are clean and have rough surfaces. Your existing concrete floor is probably dirty and smooth. You need to make it rough and clean to get the blocks to stick well with mortar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here