Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leaking cracks in poured foundation

Posted by acc252 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 30, 06 at 18:38

i've had several cracks in the foundation since the home was built approx 3 years ago. several have leaked, but were fixed from epoxy injections...i know have a new crack that leak, with very little rain...the area were the crack is under a deck on the outside, so theorectically little water should be around the area? I am planning to finish the basement, what should I do to prevent any future leaky cracks from entering basement. I do not get any water from the joint space between floor and wall (hopefully I never will). My question is can XPS foam be used to covered the walls, and seal at the bottom so small water leaks would not enter the finished space? any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leaking cracks in poured foundation

You may have had the last cracks from settlement--or not. You might put in an interior drainage system in the area that you already know has the leak. Once water gets in, it has to have a place to drain off, or you'll have damage in the finished wall. Better yet, fix it. At the least, use a crystalline waterproof coating on the inside walls to protect against small cracks. I use steel framing in basements, so as not to provide food for mould growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here