Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tile in basement

Posted by mbaldwin (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 10, 07 at 18:28

Hi, I posted this in the flooring forum to, I hope it is okay i ask here as well.

I am remodeling my basement and want to put ceramic tile down. the house is almost 60 years old. Do I need to use a decoupling mechanism between the tile
and the concrete floor? I will be tiling about 130 square feet.
the floor is not perfectly level, but any changes are gradual. I am thinking of using the 2x2 tiles that are on a mesh backing. think this would be okay
to follow the curve of the floor?
part of the floor I need to tile is around the floor drain. this is where my shower drains in to, yes it is okay where I live. What is the best way to
tile this part? I thought of maybe raising it a little. I could raise it about 2 inches, and it would still be the lowest point in the basement, what
would be the best way to do this?
Thanks for all the help.
Michael
P.S. I have never had a moisture issue in my basement.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tile in basement

Do you have an existing shower on a concrete base, or are you planning to install a shower?

o

Brewbeer, there is no shower base. The shower is walled off, and the water just hits the floor and runs down the floor drain. there is some kind of vynal cover on the floor. When I redue it I am going to use 4 inch wide bricks to make a curb to keep the water from the shower from going all over the rest of the floor. I want to put ceramic tile on the floor in the shower area, and the rest of the bath/laundry room. My wife also wants me to put ceramic tile on the wall.
the shower area is getting enlarged some. I want to make the floor drain area look nicer then it does.
Michael

o

Typically, the way a tiled shower base is constructed, is to put down a sloping mortar bed called a "pre-slope", install a waterproof membrane (a thick PVC layer) over the preslope, that extends up the shower wall 3 inches higher than the curb, then another sloped mortar bed is placed over the waterproof membrane, which is what the tile is bonded to. A three-part drain with a ring that clamps to the water proof membrane is also used.

There are variations on this proceedure, as permitted by local code.

There are a lot more steps involved in properly constructing a shower, including the floor/wall transition, and how the wall should be properly constructed to make it moisture proof and mold resistant.

Here is a link that might be useful: custom tile shower construction link

o

Thanks for the info. I ran in to another snag, and it looks like I will need to bust up my basement floor. I am thinking just to bust a little more up and put a proper shower drain in. Not sure what I will do with the floor drain then. Not sure if I will get rid of it or not.
Michael

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here