Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some basement insulation questions

Posted by franktank232 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 13, 09 at 17:28

What would i gain on a 60's built home with NO exterior/interior basement insulation (just some batts around the rim joist) IF i just insulate the exterior with 2 inch foil faced foam board from the siding down a foot into the ground??? 24 inches total... (i'd cut a sheet length wise).

ANy ideas if id save much?

... I don't care to keep it very warm every (maybe 60F tops?)...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some basement insulation questions

Aside from being ugly and leaky, it won't do anything for the air infiltration at the rim.

Better to spend the effort and money taking out the existing batts, then carefully sealing around the joists and between the rim and the foundation and putting in XPS, EPS or isocyanurate boards, followed by drywall or other acceptable fire stop materials.

o

Hmmm.... Good to hear... i didn't feel like digging anyways :)

I think the only way to get this right is with a new construction.

o

After thinking about it and doing some searching, maybe you are confused at what i'm asking... This link is exactly what i want to do...yes..it will be ugly until i cover it, which i plan to do.

http://www.arttec.net/Solar/8-08/Aug-08.html

o

Covered, it's not ugly. And it does have good insulating value. But the system you linked to also provides perfect cover for termites to access the delicious wood framing. In Maine, it might be okay. For most of the rest of the US (and where I am in southern Ontario) not so good. Plus, I'm not sold on HardieBoard underground. Cement fiber boards used in some SIPs are used below grade. I can't find anything on HardieBoard's site approving that use.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here