Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wierd smell like soy oil coming from concrete?

Posted by msulli1 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 16:50

I have ground my concrete floor with a 150 pound machine, completely removing all adhesive that held down carpet tiles. It was damp from trapped moisture vapor underneath. I put sodium silicate to seal it. I hoped this might seal the moisture, and this odd smell of soy oil, which is even in the walls and concrete floor that wasn't covered. I wonder if it could be some oil spill in the ground? It used to be farm land some 10 years ago. Or something come up from mines below? Anyone ever come across this??? If I put carpet tiles back down, no adhesive, after about a week, some dark oily stuff starts seeping up out of the concrete... Thanks.. Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wierd smell like soy oil coming from concrete?

The concrete has to be completely clean for sodium silicate to penetrate. When I've used crystalline waterproofing on brand new concrete, the walls had to be first etched with muriatic acid, then thoroughly washed down. I suspect water vapour is still coming up through the concrete and turning to water under impermeable carpet tile backing.

As for the odour, soybean meal is a widely-used animal food. Maybe your home was built over a storage area for same on the farm your home is built on.

This post was edited by worthy on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 11:18

o

thanks worthy,
I think I may try going over it with muriatic acid,.. it does seem like it still has efflorescence and maybe adhesive just below the surface where the grinder couldn't clean out.. and the sodium silicate didn't penetrate and bond,... do you think muriatic acid with work now that sodium silicate as been applied? ... and I assume I will need to reapply sodium silicate? and is there any hope sodium silicate will actually block enough moisture vapor after the acid wash to allow the plastic backed carpet squares to be applied..? or will I need more than sodium silicate? or have to go with an open weave no back carpet? ... or put down ceramic tile? thx

o

I would check with the tech department of the sodium silicate supplier you used on your next step.

Muriatic acid in an enclosed space is an extreme danger without self-contained breathing apparatus. And, despite the barefaced, barehanded yokels washing things with muriatic acid on YouTube, it's nothing to mess with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here