Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Concrete dust problem in basement

Posted by rransi (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 10, 06 at 16:26

Hi Folks,

I am a first time homeowner. I bought a new home about a year ago with unfinished basement. I see a lot of concrete dust in the basement. I had put air hockey table for kids but the concrete dust makes it impossible for anyone to stay in the basement for long. The concrete dust is everywhere - on the hockey table, ping pong table, packed boxes etc.

I have washed the basement floor several times but the dust keeps coming back. What is the best way to get rid of the concrete dust? I hear about three things - sealant, paint, and something called concrete staining. Can anyone provide some suggestions from their own experience? I don't plant to finish the basement in near future -- just use it for re-creational purposes.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Concrete dust problem in basement

Paint it. Contrete dust will be a problem for a long time to come. RustOleum makes a nice epoxy paint for basement floors. You can get it in about thirty colors (it's mixed at the paint counter like any other paint). Goes down easily and looks good.

Mike

o

You could either paint it or simply seal it. There are many concrete sealers available in either solvent base or water base. Waterbased would probably suit you best since you are in the house. You want a penetrating sealer.

o

Thanks a lot guys. I will look into epoxy paints & concrete sealers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here