Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to start on finishing a basement

Posted by C.Collier (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 20, 11 at 16:01

Well I am retiring after 22 years in the Army and we are moving to Alabama. The house we want is brand new and a great deal but they are going back and forth on finishing the basement. I am pretty handy with tools and I have stained concrete many times. So here is where I am stuck...

Where to start??? I intend on staining and sealing the concrete. The basement is 1500 sq ft with two drains and support walls running across the width. I want a bathroom, bedroom, 3 smaller rooms and a game room as well as a wet bar.

Do I start with the floors, then rough in walls, electrical and plumbing? Just seems so overwhelming right now. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to start on finishing a basement

My suggestion whenever asked is to first make a plan to scale. Graph paper and a pencil is all one needs along with a tape to measure. Locate fixed items. Then your walls. I used masking tape placed on the floor to get a feel for spaces.

If staining the floor is your plan, yes I'd do that first after locating any plumbing that may require cutting into the concrete.

I'd put XPS against the foundation walls, then frame them. Then electricity before drywall or paneling. Consider lighting and a mix of cannisters, sconces, pendants and/or outlets for table lights. If you're planning a drywall ceiling do it before the walls or drop ceiling following the walls.

Here is a link to photos of ours. Maybe some ideas. We only finished about 700 sq. ft of approximatelyt 1,000. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here